Monday 13 February 2012

Vermaelen not enjoying role

Thomas Vermaelen has expressed his frustration with playing at left-back as he does not feel he can perform to the best of his ability. 


Vermaelen has been Arsenal's most impressive central defender over the past couple of years but he has been asked to operate in a wider role due to a spate of recent injuries to full-backs.


Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker have been favoured in the heart of the back four and Vermaelen admits that is where he would prefer to be playing. "I am fed up playing at left-back," the 26-year-old Belgian is quoted as saying by The People. 


"I don't think I am good there - I want to achieve my highest level and I can't do that on the left. __________________________________________________ _______________ 


Not happy 


"I play there to help the team but it gives me no satisfaction as I can't reach my best standard. "I do my job but seldom feel content after matches. If the team wins I am happy, but it remains frustrating." 


Vermaelen has also spoken of his disappointment at losing the Belgium captaincy to Manchester Citydefender Vincent Kompany. 


"I'm not happy about it," said Vermaelen, who moved to Arsenal from Ajax in 2009. "I was proud to wear the armband."

No comments:

Post a Comment